Nate summed this one up after his first bite; “These are like badass chicken nuggets!”. Yeah…they’re good! I soaked mine in the buttermilk batter for a couple hours before I cooked them and served them with Skillet Corn.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, or more, as needed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup Panko*
For the sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons Frank’s Hot Sauce
- To make the sauce, whisk together mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, honey and Frank’s Hot Sauce in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, flour, cornstarch, egg, hot sauce, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Working one at a time, dip chicken into buttermilk mixture, then dredge in Panko, pressing to coat.
- Working in batches, add chicken to the skillet and cook until evenly golden and crispy, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve immediately, drizzled with sweet chili sauce.