I impressed myself with this one!
- pie crust (1 top and 1 bottom, thawed)
- 1 pound chicken breast
- basil, 1 leaf fresh
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 an onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 package frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- pinch of garlic powder
- 1 egg, beaten with 2 Tablespoons water (for egg wash)
1. Cook chicken breast and shred. Set aside.
2. Melt butter in a skiller over medium heat. Add onions and saute until they are translucent, about 3 minutes.
3. Add flour and stir to combine. Continue cooking about 2 more minutes, so the flour mixture turns golden.
4. Add in chicken broth and milk and stir. Continue cooking on medium heat, uncovered until sauce thickens, stirring frequently.
5. When sauce is thickened to the consistency of a medium-thick gravy, add chicken and mixed vegetables and stir to combine.
6. Add a pinch of garlic powder and ground black pepper, and about 1/2 teaspoon basil to the sauce.
7. Pour mixture into one of the pie crusts. Roll out the other half of the pie crust and lay it on top.
8. Press the top and bottom pie crust together (I use a fork for this part), and trim off the excess dough with a knife. Cut slits in the top to let heat and steam escape.
9. With a pastry brush, brush beaten egg over top of pot pie.
10. Bake in a 375* oven for 30 minutes, until the top pie crust is firm and browned.
11. Take out of oven and cover with foil (to prevent the top crust from burning). Return to oven for another 30 minutes, until both crusts are firm and golden.
12. Take out of oven and let sit 15-30 minutes to firm.