This wasn’t as bad as I expected. I actually liked the broth and meat with a tortilla. I still don’t like tripe.
- 2 pounds honeycomb tripe
- 1 (1-1/2-pounds) veal knuckle (I used beef shanks)
- 6 cups water
- 3 medium onions, chopped (1-1/2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can hominy
- Pequin chiles or crushed red pepper (I added green chile instead)
- Lime wedges
Cut tripe into 1-inch pieces. Place in a dutch oven with veal knuckle, water, onions, garlic, salt, coriander, oregano, the 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, and pepper. Simmer, covered, for 3 hours till tripe has a clear, jellylike appearance and veal is very tender.
Remove veal knuckle from pot. When cool enough to handle, discard bones; chop meat and return to soup. Add undrained hominy and cook an additional 20 minutes.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings