These are pretty good. If you haven’t tried endive, they are similar to an onion in texture, but a little sweet.
4 heads Belgian endive
2 tsp sugar
Salt and pepper
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup milk
Flour for dredging
¼ cup vegetable oil
3 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons minced parsley
- Split each endive in half lengthwise.
- Boil a pot of water with sugar, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp lemon juice. Add endives and boil, covered, 3-4 minutes. Drain and pat dry with towel.
- Dip in milk and season with salt and pepper. Dredge them through flour.
- Heat oil over medium high heat. Fry on each side 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Pour out pan and wipe out flour. Brown butter for 30 seconds. Add remaining lemon juice and parsley and swirl until mixture thickens. Pour over endives.